Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Got a Glimpse

One of the things we love most about living here in north Lou-zee-ana is the ability to see family. That was yesterday. My original plan was to stay a few nights at my parent's, but my brother's air unit went out and so he and his family moved in which left me with no bed. But it doesn't really matter, since I think 90 miles is close enough to drive back and forth in one day.

After all, after living literally on the other side of the world and where it take DAYS to get to your parent's house, 90 miles is nothing - NOTHING!

We got lots of rain yesterday - in fact, there were a few tense moments as I was driving over in the in the morning....the kind where you drive real slow and turn on  your flashing lights and PRAY  that the people behind you see you while  you are able to see EVERYONE in front of you (including the fool that had no lights on).

Toward the end of the day I kept a close eye on weather. There was one more bad cell of rain, then it looked like it would be clear - or at least just a drizzle of rain.  While we were having dinner, my dad leaned over and said, "Why don't you stay at my house tonight?"

He was so concerned about his little girl. I said, "No, I'll be fine. There's just one more bad storm, but once it passes I'll be fine."

Ten minutes later Dad says, "Don't you want to just stay at my house tonight?"

Ah, so sweet.  "No, I'll be fine. Besides, I don't have any extra clothes with me."

My mom jumps in at this point - "We'll get  you a night gown!"

What's amazing to me about this story is that my dad noticed the weather, knew I would be driving in it, and he didn't want me to.  Dad had a stroke six years ago and now has dementia. He can't really follow a conversation or a movie or a tv show.  But he knows his daughter and didn't want her driving in bad weather.

It's like a kiss to my soul when I get a glimpse of the real George that's lost somewhere in there.

(After ten or fifteen minutes of driving the rain stopped and I had nice skies with the sun peeking out the rest of the way home.)

1 comment:

PollyS said...

Oh George! What a sweetheart.
He always reminded me of my own sweet daddy.
I miss my daddy.
I miss spending time with your family!