Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Post Vacation Life

Last week we enjoyed Cancun with lots of Drew's family.  I really enjoy the beach...especially when there's a few umbrellas to sit under.  Time at the beach really makes me miss Guam....but I'm glad to be home. I love my bed....it's so nice!

Since we've been home we  -more me!- have been cleaning a few areas out.  We're switching around a few beds to make room for a  treadmill. We got rid of Melissa's double bed and have given her the queen size bed that was in the guest/sewing room. In order to make room for a bigger bed in her room, she had to clean out a few things.  Which - THANKFULLY!! - she did. That was Monday. Yesterday, she worked on cleaning out her amour. Today will be her nightstand.

(I'm constantly amazed at how much junk one teenage girl can collect!!)

I went through our linen closet. There were a few things we have had since college....time for them to GO!! And that ugly, ugly comforter Drew used in DC?? GONE!

I would like to go through my teaching items next....but I'm waiting for a friend to return from a trip. She is in college studying to be a teacher and I think she might want some of the books....we'll see.

I was, also, able to go through most of the closet in the guest/sewing room. I have one box left...maybe later today.

I wish I had taken a picture of the back of the van as the boys took the cast-offs things to the Goodwill! The back seats were folded flat into the small trunk and the middle seats were folded as well - and the van was full!!  The double bed plus all those old linens, comforters, and clothes from all of us.

The hardest thing to get rid of was the double bed....  It was actually our crib for all the kids.  I worked summer school in Albuquerque those last few weeks we were there to pay for it. Drew really didn't want me to buy it...  We had already had one miscarriage and he was concerned that we would continue to have pregnancy issues and he didn't want a crib hanging around reminding us of our troubles.  But I fell in love with it. 

I actually saw it as a double bed - a sleigh bed - before I realized it was a crib as well.  Right away I knew that was the crib for me. I worked that summer school and then paid $700 for the crib and the extra pieces to make into a double bed.  Drew told me to keep it in the box in the garage.  It moved to Japan in the box....thankfully, in Japan we were able to get it out of the box, set up the crib for baby William.

But it was time for it to go...with all our moves it had been damaged and outright broken in several places.  It was not as stable as it use to be.

But still...  It was hard to let it go....I'm determined to make this house very clutter-free and to have the house set up with things we like and use.  I don't even want the attic full of things I no longer use, so off the bed went.

The boys took the van to Goodwill on Monday and I already for another pile of things that need to go as well.....Maybe the pile will grow today!

No comments: