Monday, February 21, 2011

The Mysterious Mind of a Twelve Year Old

The other night we were at a restaurant for dinner, Melissa ordered her normal: Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad.  Several times during the meal the waitress stopped to ask how everything was. I just looked at Drew and the kids - all seemed well, so Drew and I nodded and said we were fine.

As we were nearing the end of the meal, Melissa said, "Mom, they forgot to add the croutons and the Parmesan cheese to my salad."

Me: "Well, why didn't you say something when the waitress stopped by?"

Melissa: "I didn't want to complain."

Me: "Excuse me?  You didn't want to complain??!! You? Who complains all the time at my dinner table? You don't want to complain?!!"

Melissa: "Well, I didn't want to hurt her feelings."

Me: "Seriously? You didn't want to hurt her feelings? Her? She didn't even make the food! The cooks in the back whom we don't even see, cook the food! You didn't want to hurt her feelings, but you complain and hurt my feelings at my dinner table?! Seriously!!?""

She had no answer. Drew said not to let it bother me - this is normal. She wants to hurt our feelings as its all apart of being a teenager and rebelling. I don't think I like that answer. Not. one. bit.

No comments: