Friday, July 8, 2011

Books, Again

As usual, I've been reading - several books in fact!   While at the lake with Drew's family, I read  Uncharted by Angela Hunt. This week I read Second Chance by Jane Green.  Both are about a group of college friends reuniting twenty years after college at a funeral of one of the friends.  

But that's about all they have in common.  Angela Hunt is a Christian author and so wrote about the spiritual impact of the choices these friends have made. Jane Green's book was placed in England was about these friends re-connecting and how they lived their lives.

I hate to say it, but I think I enjoyed the Jane Green book better - even if some of the language was stronger than I liked (and since it was placed in England there was some references to stores or other English things that I didn't understand). Angela Hunt's book ended with more of a feel the TV show Lost had - mystical, I guess would be the word.

I'm not much into the mystical.

Another book I finished this week was Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss (read as a part of my Bible/prayer time).   I had read parts of it last spring, but just this summer read the book all the way through.  Very good.  The author listed forty lies the world tells women - and many times we fall for them and believe them.  Lies such as God could never forgive me,  I'm not worthy, Being a wife and mother are not important, I can't control my emotions, etc.    I really enjoyed it - at several different points in the book I had to stop and look up the Bible verse for myself and read it.  I think overall the one verse, I now claim as my favorite is John 17:17 - Sanctify them with the truth,  your word is truth.

This verse is from the prayer Jesus prayed right before he was betrayed - He prayed for Himself, His Disciples, for us.  It's an amazing prayer! But I love how He prayed that we would know the Truth. And in case we were ever confused - He told us what the truth was - God's word!  Makes me look at my life and beliefs to see make sure all are based on God's word - not just what the world or my friends or my pastor says is true - but only on God's word.

And the best part?  We have the Bible that we can look it  up and read it for ourselves!! Love that!

Okay - enough preaching for the day - back to books.  Right now I'm reading Jamie Ford's Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  My friend Janean recommended it to me - so far (half-way through) it's very good!  It's placed in the late 1980's but goes back to the 1940's during WWII and how the American Japanese were treated - by our own government.  Sad. (how they were treated - not the book)  This book just may be a favorite of mine!

No comments: