Friday, August 10, 2012

Names

Over the years I have noticed that people generally introduce themselves as they wished to be called. If a person introduced themselves in their full name - no nickname or shorten name then, please, call them that until they correct you. Or if they introduce themselves by a nickname, then call them that!

William says William - Benjamin says Benjamin. My mother-in-law has a double name and introduces herself that way. A friend in Guam introduced herself as Kimberly - not Kim as Drew would call her until I pointed out this. A California friend introduced herself as Cindy - not Cynthia.

The reason this is on my mind is the other night at the school orientation, Benjamin introduced himself by his full name - not Ben. To me that told me that's how he thinks of himself.

I have been amazed at how many people here shorten names here in Louisiana. I introduce William as William. When talking about his I refer to him as William. So, why do people shorten his name??!!!

Just a small pet peeved of mine.....

No comments: