Monday, July 2, 2012

Yea...That Movie and That Book

Lately, I have heard a lot about being holy - one preacher said we are 'to chase holiness'. After all
I Peter 1:16 says to "be holy as I am holy" (which is a quote from Leviticus). You can't get more direct than that.

But at the same time I see from many friends on Facebook comments about things that are not holy; the two latest items being a book (Fifty Shades of Gray) and a movie (Magic Mike). I'm shocked and saddened at the friends who have posted about reading this book and attending this movie.

I am NO WHERE near perfect. I constantly struggle with how much of the world to let into my life...or rather how much I need to get rid of the world in my life. It seems to be a never-ending process. (Of course, the reality of it IS a never-ending process on this side of heaven.) I have enjoyed some books and movies only to be convicted afterwards. I am constantly trying to view things through God's eyes before I partake. Sometimes I fail - as I posted awhile ago about walking out of a movie.

I have to admit: some things in the entertainment world seem innocent....harmless...but it seems to me that many things are out-right beyond distasteful. God is my standard. Not the world. Not what is the latest "must see/read". I shuddered to think of having my Savior seeing me read a book or watch a movie that trivialize and cheapens an act He deemed beautiful. I'm also fully aware of three sets of eyes on me at all times....watching to see if I really believe and live what my words say I do. It cuts me to the core to think that I will ever give any of my children a reason to doubt the goodness and the reality of the Lord.

So, I call to all my fellow Christians:

Leviticus 19:2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ephesians 5:3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

As I said, I'm not perfect. I struggle with sin just like every other person I know. But God and His holiness need to be our standard in EVERY PART of our life. Not just when it's convenient.

No comments: