Monday, November 21, 2011

A New Experience

Saturday I had a new experience: worked as a Commissioner for an election. Last month when I was working at the soup kitchen, several other volunteers were talking about working as a commissioner. I asked a few questions, but didn't really peruse it any further.

After a few weeks of being unable to go to the soup kitchen due to subbing, I stopped by the soup kitchen to check in and see if I could help out for an hour or so.  One of the ladies told me that they really needed more commissioners and if I was interested I should call. She was serious enough that she gave me the name and phone number of the lady whom I needed to call.

I ended up calling last Monday and making an appointment to take the class. It was really simple - I watched a thirty minute video and then took an open book test. All the information was simple to understand.

But then came the hard part: Be at the election poll at 5:30  - that would be a.m.  Yikes! Good thing I'm a horrible sleeper and a morning person!

It was a long day - I worked until 8:30 p.m. But all-in-all it was a good day.  I worked with some very nice people  (several of which turned out to be relatives of a friend of mine) and I got to see a lot of my neighbors. I am definitely interested in working another election - and will make it apart of our new life here.

No comments: