Friday, August 30, 2013

A Book Re-done

The other day I popped into the library as I was headed to pick up Benjamin from cross country practice.  I saw a book by Debbie Macomber I wasn't familiar with - I was so excited as she is one of my favorite author's. I glanced at the copyright date to make sure it was  new one - and it was - 2012.  In the past I have brought home what I thought was new book only to discover it was a new cover - which is why I didn't recognize it.

When I got home this time, I realized I was fooled again.  She (or her editors or publishers) took two of her old romance novels, put them into one book - added a new title. So, while the title was new, the stories were not.

I was fooled again! And disappointed.

Not that it stopped me from reading them. I can tell these were from her early years as a writer.  The characters and storyline were not as well thought out as her newer books are.

Oh, well.  I have found a new author (new to me anyway), Susan Mallery. While I wish her bedroom scenes were cleaner, her story lines and characters are very good.  Makes you want to go find this fictional town and move in and have dinner with some of these people.

But I guess that's what makes a good author - they make a make-believe place seem real.

No comments: