Monday, August 2, 2010

A Book Filled Summer

This has been a book filled summer. I have been able to read, read, and get even more reading in. And I have loved every minute- and page - of it!   If you  look on my Book/Author page, you 'll see a list of books that I've read - not all this summer...but most of them.

I really should have counted them...

But! I am almost ready for  break.  I have three more books out from the library here that I plan to read then I'll be taking a break.

A few books I read I ended up just scanning instead of reading word-for-word.  Both were Barbara Delinksy books. One - The Women Next Door - begins with a young widow becoming pregnant way after her husband passes. All the other wives in the cud-de-sac suspect their husbands.

Really?  All of them? That just hit me wrong. A group of women from all walks of life and all of them think their husband cheated on them?? So, I just scanned the book one day while I waited for Mom when she had her physical therapy. 

The other one of Babara Delinksy that hit me wrong was called Facets.  In it was a much older that had control issues. I just couldn't get past how anyone could be that evil and controlling - and still in charge of so much.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I didn't want to waste my time reading about that kind of person.  I do enjoy the Christian fiction that is out now. A lot of it is 'fluff' as some of my friends call it, but at least I know good will out win the bad by the last page. I like happy endings.

I am in love with the library here. I'm not sure when it was built, but I would say within the last ten years. So many great books! And most of them look new. I hate using a library where all the books seem old - so old that no one has read most of them in a number of years. And I have gotten to the point that I do want to read new books - books that show the technology that we live with now - cell phones, email, etc. And the kids seem impress with the library as well - a big bonus.  It seems a lot of the books they offer in the kids' sections seem to be new - hot-off-the-press as well. I see the library a lot in our life here.

One reason I need a break from reading is my 'to-do' list. It's getting long.  Nothing earth shattering  - but I want to get caught up on my scrap-booking and finish getting the house in order.  Things that will be easier to work on when the kids are in school and I have some quiet time. 

School here starts Aug 11 - just a week from Wednesday! Crazy! But good...oh, so, good.

1 comment:

CSL said...

I have to admit that I'm a little jealous. I want to read what I [emphasized] want to read. I'm starting to drag....

Glad you had some free time and have enjoyed your summer. Are you coming to DFW in November?