Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review

Thursday required a lot of sitting in doctors' offices, so reading helped passed the time.  I finished Jean Kwok's Girl in Translation.  Another enjoyable book! As I mentioned in another post, it's about a girl and her mother as they make a new life in America after they have immigrated from Hong Kong. I liked how the author told you of the journey without getting bogged down into too many details, but yet at the same time gave great details where it mattered.

You got a great details about the apartment an aunt "dumped" them in, but not daily school life of  the girl.  It was the apartment - and the sweat shop - that propelled the girl to do better - to be better. You cheered for her, but the way the introduction was written, you didn't know if she would make it or not until the very end.  And no, I'm not going to tell you the end. Read it for yourself.

While this book is not an autobiography, it does have many things in common with the author - she, too, is from Hong Kong and migrated to the US as a small child and her parents did start off in the US as workers in a sweat shop in Chinatown.   This is her first novel and  I am looking forward to many more from her.

I, also, finished  Life Lessons from the Hiding Place: Discovering the Heart of Corrie Ten Boom by Pam Moore.  I had met Mrs. Moore last November during a women's conference in Dallas. I had started this book on our Mexican vacation, but had not finished it until now.  Once again, Mrs. Moore gives great insight into the amazing like of Corrie Ten Boom.

Right now I am reading a book recommended by a blogger that I read: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhonda Janzen.  I'm only a few chapters in...but I think I'll keep reading it! 

No comments: