Monday, July 7, 2014

Independence Weekend

We  had a very nice long holiday weekend.....even if there were a few bumps along the way and that it didn't have the best ending.

Thursday afternoon we drove north to Hot Springs, Ark in time to have a nice dinner and to see a magic show.   Several years ago, Drew and I were in Hot Springs for a marriage retreat and saw this show - we loved it!  What I really loved was how family friendly it was. What a rare find! So many times a show or movie has a comment here or there that you just hope flies over the kids' head so you don't have to explain something you know they (or you!) aren't ready to know just yet.  Maxwell Blade keeps in  mind who in is his audience.  I, also, love how at the very end of his show, he tells how his life was in a very bad place and Jesus saved him.  He doesn't hit you over the head with the Gospel, but just says Jesus is the answer. Then he finishes up the show.  He just plants the seed and lets God grow it.  Love it, love it, love it!!

Based on how attentive my kids were, I think they enjoyed the show as well. They were trying to figure out how all the tricks worked.  We think we know how some were done...after all, Drew used to be a magician...but there were a few we weren't too sure about.  Good stuff!

Friday the boys just stayed around the hotel, watched tv....stayed lazy...which they all loved!  Melissa and I walked up to the main street and went shopping.  We both ended up with a few bath soap items. Melissa found a great top for less than $10. Then we meet the boys for lunch and some geocaching. (We found three.) It was just one of those easy - no rush days.  We went back to the hotel to watch some of the World Cup....take a nap....continued being lazy...catch some fireworks out of the hotel room window....just a great day.

Saturday we spent at the local amusement and water park.  While none of us are big on roller-coasters, everyone enjoyed the water slides.  Well, everyone but me. I'm more of a wave pool and lazy river type....that way I don't have to go underwater...which I'm not very fond of...after all, I have no gills so I'll just say on top of the water, thank-you-very-much. 

Drew spoiled us by renting a cabana...that even came with a we got out World Cup soccer games in...along with plenty of shade. So worth the money!!!

Off and on during the day, Melissa said she had a headache....yeah, well, so did I...but I had no meds so we just toughed it out.  Once we got back to the car around six in the evening, she took her migraine medicine...but it didn't work.  About eight-ish she took some more...and then started to throw up.  Thankfully, we had brought a bucket! (One of the things the cabana came with was a bucket with ice and water bottles...while I didn't really want the bucket, I knew it just might come in handy with a child and a migraine. As William said as we stopped along the road to take care of Melissa, "good call on the bucket, Mom!!"  See. We moms do know a thing or two!)

After we got home around nine-ish, Melissa just couldn't keep anything down and was still in massive pain.  So, after a twenty minute phone call to our insurance getting permission (twenty minutes!! I had to talk to three different people!! I'm trying to focus on the fact that I have great insurance - and I am VERY THANKFUL for that, but it's a loooong twenty minutes when your child is in pain.) to take her to the ER.  We got there about 10:45 and got home at 2:30.  Not a short trip....but it could have been so much worse, I guess.

(On a side note....there is some weird stuff on the tv that late at night.....unless you believe in alien adductions.....)

They gave her an IV for the dehydration, medicine for the nausea and two different kinds of meds for the pain.  About ten minutes after the medicine was given, I asked her how she was feeling I got a "I feel happy!" response in a sort of a loopy voice and a slight smile.  Very funny!  And she was still feeling happy Sunday afternoon. (I, on-the-other-hand, was not....I should have asked for some of that happy medicine, too. Thankfully, my head is clear this morning. Oh, how I hate migraines!)

So, our weekend ended with Melissa and I staying home from church and sleeping.  By supper time we both were functioning almost at normal. While it wasn't a trouble free weekend, it was still a good weekend....just next time I'll take some headache medication with us and try to get her to drink more water. Live and learn.

No comments: