Thursday, July 10, 2014

More Driving

Yesterday I had a few errands to do and I let Melissa be my chauffeur. Over all, I think she did a great job.  She does love to hug that right side...which is fine except here in  Lou-zee-ana we have almost no shoulders on our roads.  Seriously...what's up with that? Thankfully, she hasn't taken out any mailboxes...yet.

She was very nervous...especially, as a policeman was behind us.  Poor thing! I get nervous with a policeman behind me!! 

When she drove home from the DMV on Monday, there was a truck that was behind us all of the way home. (Turns out it was a neighbor being dropped off from a day camp.) Then the policeman yesterday.  But she did fine. She does have a little trouble keeping her speed steady, but as I told her that will come in time as she gets use to doing so many things at one. After all, driving is the ultimate multi-tasking event!

Made me think of a story a Sunday school teacher once told....  I don't remember exactly what kind of job this man had at Oxford, but part of it was to teach international students how to drive. He told us about how they would take FOREVER to look at the speedometer to see how fast they were going...which including them taking their eyes off the road and him slamming on the extra brake on his side and grabbing the wheel.  Of course, he told the story in a very entertaining fashion and acted some of it out.  Always makes me smile when I think of it....

...until I'm the one in the passenger side....and I DON'T have that extra break!

No comments: