Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Facebook

Back in late February or early March I deactivated my facebook account.  I just got to the point that I knew too many trivial details about too many people. Also, I was slightly annoyed at all the other stuff....too much political stuff....too many "interesting" articles...just too much junk. And to be honest, I got my feelings hurt due to a comment a friend said....and I didn't like getting private messages from old high school boyfriends. As Drew has said many times "there's a lot of junk!"

So. I deactivated my account.

At the time I really didn't know if I would re-join.  I knew if I did, I would "de-friend" many.  After all, if I wouldn't send them a Christmas card, why would I want them to know about my day-to-day life?  I know several friends that see facebook as "mission field". To some degree, I agree with that premise. But I, also, felt a "release" from that from the Lord.

I have to admit that I missed it. I missed being in the know.....at first, anyway. Then as the weeks and months went by, I got use to the not knowing and it was nice! A few friends texted or emailed, and I was able to stay in touch with them that way. After all, my email and phone numbers have stayed the same for several years now. If someone wants to get in touch with me, they can.

One friend from church told me about a conversation or rather a disagreement she and a fellow church member had one facebook.  Yea....that's what I'm NOT missing.

As school got out and summer began, I started to think that I would rejoin...but had no real date in mind. A few days it crossed my mind, but then I would get busy and just never got around to it.

Tonight I got an email saying that my account had been reactivated. Since Drew was on the computer, I asked him about it.  And was shocked to hear him say he did! WHAT?!!!  Turned out, when he opened a new tab in windows it had the facebook page as an option. He thought I had rejoined (he knew I was thinking about it). Just by him logging on, it reactivated my account. That was a surprised....I really thought it would be more work than that.

I told him no, MY account wasn't the reason there was a tab - William had check his account today.

But since he reactivated the account, I decided to go ahead and get on to see what all was going on.

What did I find?  About all the same things.....not that I was really shocked or anything.

I was still overwhelmed with all the trivial stuff about soo many people....just too many!! Do I really need to know where one friend ate supper tonight? Or that another friend went on a good run? But there are friends that I miss......especially, several of my friends from Guam. One recently had a baby....I didn't even know she was pregnant! I did love seeing pictures of my friends and their kids....seeing how they have changed.

In the end, I deactivated the account again.  I like knowing less.....makes for a quieter mind and emotions.  I am still on Instagram (mainly for the beautiful pictures by the professionals photographers I follow instead social aspects of it)....and I plan to keep this blog going, so I'm not totally out of the loop when it comes to social media. But I think for right now, I keep off facebook.

No comments: