Monday, January 3, 2011

Books

Late the other night I finished reading the third book in the  Millennium Trilogy by Steig Lassson The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  Like the first two - 1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo & 2) The Girl Who Played with Fire - this third book is excellent. (And as I have said before - it's not for the faint of heart as it has strong language and several graphic scenes.)  All of these books were hard to put down - I just wanting to know what happened next!

As I was reading background about Steig Lasson, I was struck by several things. First, how tragic that he died young (age 50) due to an an unexpected heart-attack. And how tragic he was not prepared to die. On a spiritual level I doubt he held a faith-saving belief in Jesus Christ as I do. On an earthly practical level, he did not have a current will. All of the money coming in from these books will go to his father and brother(whom it is rumored that he was not close to) instead of to his long-time partner (or as we would call her in the States his common-law wife).

But it's also tragic that he will not be able to write more.  Supposedly, there are outlines for up to three more books on his computer. Maybe someone will be commissioned to write these new books in his name - and they may be even good books, but it's sad to think they will not be  exactly what he intended.

As I leave this series, I turn my attention to the stack of books I bought/received in Dallas (at the PWOC conference) as well as a few I received for Christmas. First up: the Heavenly Man  -  It's about a leader in the underground Church in China.

Yes, it's a far cry from the Millennium series, but I except it to be just as entertaining - but for entirely different reasons.

No comments: