Friday, July 22, 2011

Another Book Review

Last weekend I finished I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. If you never heard of him, don't worry. It's a pseudonym for James Frey and Jobie Hughes. This is the first of a new series. But it's not for everyone - it's about aliens. As in outer space aliens from another planet not illegal aliens from another country.

Over all, I enjoyed the book - and will probably keep an eye out for the next book in the series (due out later this year, I think.) But I was disappointed in the choice of language within the book.  Overall, it wasn't too bad, but there was one word that was used over and over to describe one character. The majority of the characters are teenagers and I know teens don't always use polite language, but I do have a problem with an author using language in a book for teens that would get them in trouble at school.  And my child would get in trouble with me as well as a teacher is used that word to describe someone.

There is a movie based on this book - I have yet to watch it. I do have it on hold at the library, but will have to pass at this time and watch it when life is a little slower.

I, also, read Voodoo River by Robert Cais last week. This was a book my mother (hey, mom!) recommended. The main reason she thought I would enjoy it was because it was placed in South Louisiana. The main character is a private detective from Los Angeles trying to solve a mystery in South Louisiana. Of course, his reaction to the locals was quite funny - which is why my mom (and me) enjoyed the book.  Will warn you, some of the language was stronger than I like.

I did receive the book that I won, How Shall We Feed Them by Marty Girardier. It's a fast read - it's more of a booklet than a full-length book. But it's packed full of great information of how to set  up and run a food pantry.  I'm not sure how I'll use this information, but it'll be fun to see what God has planned.

No comments: