Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Proud Moment

This past Saturday night we had some friends over for dinner. It was a really a fun night.  It turns out that their youngest - a 10th grader - has a class with William.  After dinner the adults were sitting in the living room talking while the kids were playing cards at the dinning room table.

I was very pleased at how well our boys got along - especially William. It takes him awhile to warm up to people. Most of the time he would rather read a book than interact with real people.  But he was the one to get the deck of cards out. My boys taught their boys how to play "slap-jack". Sort of like war where  you everyone lays down one card at a time, but in this game when a jack appears, the winner is the one who slaps it first.

Yeah, boys love this game.

Physical violence at every turn of the card.

A little while later as the couple was getting ready to leave, I paid a little more attention to what the boys were playing now.  I could  only hear snippets of their conversation and just couldn't make out what they were doing.  So, I asked.

"21", William says proudly.

Oh, my.

Then I realized that the small clear stones in my centerpiece were what they were using to gamble with.

Oh, so, lovely.

The next morning the family came to visit our church.   In the middle of the sermon, the pastor made some reference to how bad gambling was.

Oh, yeah....proud moment.....

No comments: