Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Day of School

It's the first day of school here in the Deep South. Oh, what a glorious day!  I've been singing the Christmas song that Staples used in a back-to-school ad a few years ago: "It's the most wonderful time of the years..." Of course, my kids disagree.

All woke up on their own (yea for alarm clocks that work!), dressed, and ate breakfast without too much grumbling.  I think all are a little excited - even if they didn't show it!  I think they all were ready to see friends and get out of the house.

After waving good-bye to all on the bus, I enjoyed breakfast with several of my friends.  This is my first-day-of-school tradition - lunch or breakfast out.  It was a nice and relaxing time. Then I made a small trip through Walmart grabbing a few items that were forgotten or not in stock at the BX &  commissary earlier this week.  I even bought a few flowers for my front pots.  They are now looking a little better - now so dead.

I came home to a nice and quiet house. Love that sound - or lack there of.

I finished one book (The Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon - about a lady who supported her family by sewing during the Taliban years in Afghanistan - very good!) and read some in another book (A Shepherd Looks at the 23rd Psalm by Phillip Keller - my 2nd time to read this book - love it!!). 

Now I plan to clean up around the house, get dinner started....and enjoy the quiet.  But yes. I will, also, enjoy it when all my little duckies come home from their day full of stories.

But mainly, today I'm also praying for those little duckies of mine to have a wonderful school year. Benjamin is  in 6th grade - starting middle school. Melissa is in 8th grade - ending middle school. William is in his sophomore year of high school.  I think it's going to be a great year!

No comments: