Sunday, December 29, 2013

What a Pretty Bird!

When I asked the kids what they wanted to eat for Christmas, Benjamin and Melissa had no opinion. But William wanted duck.  Now, just to be clear, this has NOTHING to do with any bearded guys from my hometown.  This all has to do with Christmas 2006.

In December 2006 we were still recovering from the year deployment. While Drew came home that August, December found us still just relishing in being a whole family again. We were just loving being together.  That Christmas we stayed in Maryland instead of traveling to Mississippi to see family. For Christmas dinner we had several of my friends over for lunch since their husbands were working.  Not sure why Drew wanted to serve duck that year, but he did so we did.  This memory has stuck in William's mind all these years and he wanted duck again.

So, I bought a duck.  After talking to mom and realizing that we would have way too much meat if we brought the duck for dinner at her house Christmas Day, we saved it to cook here at the house. The other night, Drew got to work and cooked the duck.

Over all, the consensus was delicious! Melissa thought it was too "gamey" - but not sure if she really knew what gamey taste like. But the boys and I all enjoyed it. So glad my other half is home to help me cook!



No comments: