Monday, January 25, 2016

Books So Far in 2016

So far in 2016 I have read six books.  As I said this year I want to re-read some children classics. I have read the first two in the Narnia Chronicles.  And enjoyed both.  I had forgotten some of the details over the years. 

I have also read a series of three by Lynette Eason called Deadly Reunions. 1: When the Smoke Clears 2: When A Heart Stops 3: When a Secret Kills.  I enjoyed how the author wove the on going story through-out the series.  All were on the light side...an easy read, if you will.  While they are under "Christian Lit", I will say they are not overly Christian.  Lots of references to praying, or "God", but not evangelical at all.  And no sex scene at all! Which is very nice  I know what goes on in the bedroom - I don't need a play-by-play!

The book I finished this weekend is called Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I only read this book because a friend asked me to - several times! She first gave me the book back in the summer. I tried to read it, but just couldn't get into it.  When I tried to give it back, she said - "no! I really want you to read it so we can talk about it!!'

Ok.  Fine. 

So, I forced myself to read it.  It's heavy on descriptive narratives to tell the story (what little story there it - it's mostly these non connecting stories)....very little dialogue. The story is told by an older man who is at the end of his life and wants to make sure his young son knows certain things about him and the town they live it.  The old man - a preacher - tells stories about his own family, the town they live in and the son of the preacher's best friend.  It seemed to be it wasn't until the end of the book that you learn the story behind this son of the friend. 

It just had too many descriptive narratives for my taste....yes, there were some beautiful sayings, but I won't be reading the companion book that tells the full story from this friend's son. I'll be skipping that one...and just go back to my children's classic or my light fiction....or maybe even a memoir....haven't read one of those yet this year....or one of the Christian theology/living books that's on my nightstand...

No comments: