Saturday, February 26, 2011

The New Question

When Dad was going through his check-in for the follow-up appointment at the neurology clinic, I learned that there is a new question in life from doctor to patient.

No longer are the questions the normal do you drink, do you smoke, are you in pain today. No, now we have a new question to ask:  "Do you have a living will?"

Really? Wow.

Now, there's a sobering thought.   Just when you thought it was a normal appointment, you begin to wonder if they know something you don't...like if you're worse off then they are telling you...

But Mom said no. It's just part of the new health care system. Everyone is to have a living will.

 I can't remember if I do or not....If I don't, does that make me a criminal???

1 comment:

PollyS said...

Kel,
When we received Isshah's diagnosis, the coroner in town suggested we get a living will. She said if we didn't, and somehow Isshah ended up in the hospital after the home birth, the hospital is legally obligated to prolong life unless we tell them otherwise. So my sister (a paralegal) and her attorney boss drafted a living will for us.
Fast forward 6 years... My FIL was in a short term care facility after a surgery. He had a heart attack and no one found him until 2 hours later. The paramedics were not advised of his living will and revived him and put him on a ventilator. Even though after 2+ hours he was clearly brain dead.
My SIL and MIL had to take legal action to disconnect the ventilator. Needless to say, this was an ordeal that they should not have had to go through while grieving.
While it may seem like an odd and cold hearted question from the dr, it is a reminder that our time on earth is fleeting and one should get their affairs in order.
As you can see, I'm a huge advocate of living wills. My husband on the other had, is not. :(