Saturday, May 28, 2011

Book Review: THE BOOK

As we were driving to the Coast the other day, I finished another book. THE Book - yep - the Bible.  This is at least the third time I  have read the Bible all the way through - possibly the fourth...or fifth...lost track.  Usually, when I read the Bible through I read it from the beginning - Genesis - to Revelation straight through, but this time in  I used a "Read the Bible Through in a Year Bible".

This is a reading plan where you read a few chapters in the Old Testament, then a few chapters in the New Testament, then a Psalm, then a Proverb - all set up so you read a little bit every day for a year.  The idea is that you won't get bored - or bogged down in  Exodus or Leviticus as  you read all the old Jewish laws.   I know lots of my friends that love this system.  But for me?

I hated it.

Just when I was really getting into the theme or story line, it changed to a different passage.

I don't think I will be using this reading plan again.

Over the last few months or so, I have been given many devotionals. My plan is to read several of these devotions this summer, then in the fall I will read the Bible through again. This time I will read it through Chronologically. This last time I started January 23rd and finished May 25th - yes, way faster than a year.  Call me an over-achiever.   In the fall I will also try to complete the Bible in four or five months.

If you never have read the Bible all the way through, I would highly encourage you to - especially if you are a Believer.  All believers need to know what they believe. I think it should start with reading the Bible.

No comments: