Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tim Tebow

Many years ago I heard Christian speaker Joyce Meyer asking for prayers of protection for herself - and other well known Christians. She had come across a person that admitted to not liking her  and was actively praying for her downfall. It really  made me stop and think - and pray! - for her and other well known Christians. 

This morning in my Bible reading I read Psalms 31:20: You (referring to the Lord) hide them (referring to those who take refuge in God - v.19) in the protection of Your presence; You conceal them in a shelter from the schemes of men, from quarrelsome tongues.

Over the last few months we who pay attention to professional football have heard a lot about Tim Tebow. He has gotten a lot of press about his beliefs and how he lives them. There have even been several commentators that talk of their hope for his downfall - which came to my mind as I read the above verse.  It total baffles me as to why people are so poisonous.  But yet, here in the Bible written thousands of years ago, are people who hope for the downfall of True Believers.

Most of us can't go up to Tim Tebow or other well known Christians to encrouage them, but we can pray for their protection.  It takes act-upon-act to build a strong reputation, but as we have seen in the Penn State scandal, it only takes one wrong decision to bring it all to ruin.

Please, join me in praying not only for spiritual protection for Tim Tebow, but also for others who speak out for Jesus.

1 comment:

CSL said...

Thanks for the challenge this morning! I get so wrapped up in my own life that I forget to pray for those who are serving as role models for my kids. I had this discussion with my mom yesterday. My kids are very taken with Baylor's quarterback, and he has the chance to go into the NFL draft this year, but so many who go into professional sports lose their impact because they do make poor decisions. My kids are watching Robert Griffin III, and I need to be praying for him. (I don't think they have any idea who Tebow is because we don't watch prof sports, but we do need to be praying for him and others, that they will choose wisely and turn away from sin in their lives.)

So I appreciate your post this morning. So timely....