Monday, March 5, 2012

Book Reviews:

A Love that Multiplies by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar - very enjoyable! It was nice to see the details behind the scenes from the family's show and their belifs. I borrowed this from a friend as the library did not have a copy. I would like to try to find their first book.

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda - love it! This is a story about an adoptive daughter and the two mothers in her life. A beautiful picture of how adoption can bring  people together and gives hope where there is very little.

Things with Remembering by Jackina Stark - a good read! Ms. Starks weaves a story of how misconceptions can damage a family and lessons in honesty.

 A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard - wow....what a hard read... This is the true story of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped at age eleven and was not found until age 28....18 years in captivity. This was hard to read...very sad to know a little girl had to suffer...even harder that there were people who could have stopped it or ended it early and either chose not to or lack of work ethic and neglect led to her being abused for so very long. 

 James: Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore - this is my ladies group current Bible study book. So far, I'm enjoying it, but then again - James is an amazing book of the Bible so, of course, it has some wonderful stuff in it!
I also picked up two other books at the library that I did not finish: A Christmas Wedding by James Patterson and Richard DiLallo - within a few pages there was cussing, drug abuse, and spousal abuse. I decided that I didn't want to fill my head with these characters especially during the Lent season.  Just was not in the mood.  The other book was Beach Trip by Cathy Holton. It tells the story of four college friends meeting up after twenty years and spending a week together at a beach house.  Once again, I think I was just not in the mood for this secular book...it just didn't catch my attention after a few pages. I'm to the point that I want to read books that inspire me...not depress me.  It seemed that several characters did not live the life they wanted and were depressed.  There's enough depression in life - just watch the news! - that I'm not in the mood for it right now....maybe another time...or not....

No comments: