Friday, March 23, 2012

Hate Speech

A popular quote when I was in college was "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." by Voltaire. In fact, it was at the top of the front page of the college newspaper often (if not every day). Back then I seem to remember it being more in thought of race relations and, as well, if the Rebel flag should be flown (I did go to university in the Deep South, after all).  But I also, remember it being talked about in reference to the burning of the US flag.

These days, disagreeing is no longer an option. Why, I ask?? Last week actor Kirk Cameron was on Piers Morgan's show promoting his new movie, Monumental. During the interview, Mr. Morgan asked Mr. Cameron if he was against gay marriage (which has nothing to do with the movie they were suppose to be talking about.) Mr. Cameron gave a very calm, soft spoken response in which he stated his belief against the homosexual lifestyle based on his faith in the Bible.

Kirk Cameron, of course, was BLASTED by many in the media for his "hate speech". I've seen his response. Nowhere did he tell people to go and hurt gays. So, why was it called "hate speech"?  Why can't he have a different point of view?  Isn't that allowed under our Constitution? By him having a difference of opinion, that does not stop people from living the way they want to. Why do they care what he says, anyway???

But it's not just this issue that the media and Hollywood lambaste outspoken Christians and Conservatives over. Where it's abortion, illegal immigrants, the tax code, health care or voter identification cards, it seems to me that people no longer what to discuss issues - they just want to call others names. No longer is it okay to have many views on an issue. And I'm talking about both sides of the aisle in Congress!

The message we are sending to the next generation is "We must all think alike".  WHY?? I ask!  What are we producing? Robots to run the country in the upcoming years? This country has always been a light to the world to show that "a mixing bowl" can live in harmony.  Sadly, I think those days are over.

But you can disagree with me. I'm okay with that. I'm strong enough in my own views that I don't need your approval or for you to agree with me.

1 comment:

Robert said...

and it started so long ago, this takeover of America. The sugar-coating, the 'political correctness' that makes bile rise in my throat.