Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Longest Book...

Today I finished what has got to be the longest book I have ever read - 542 pages. That was the amount of reading - then there were pages and pages of index, notes, bibliography and even reader questions.

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy  A Righteous Gentile vs. The Third Reich was written by Eric Metaxas.  I heard him on a radio show talking about this book and this man: Bonhoeffer. I had never heard of Dietrich Bonehoeffer before, but I was intrigued by what was said.  How he not only tried to stand up to the Nazi's, but also was in on one of the conspiracies to kill Hitler.

A pastor? Trying to kill Hitler? I wanted to learn more. And was delighted that my library had the book. (I do sooo love my library!!)

It took most of this last week, but read it all the way through I did.  Mr. Metaxas is an excellent author - humorous at times even within such a heavy story of WWII and the killings of way too many people. 

It's encouraging to know that even in such dreadful times, God not only calls out men to be courageous to stand for Him and for those that can't speak for themselves, but that people obey that calling.

May we all who say we believe actually prove it with our actions as Dietrich Bonehoeffer did.

No comments: